Fall-proofing your home is the best gift you can give to yourself and to your loved ones, especially the older members of the family. You deserve a safe and comfortable place to live. Below are simple yet effective modifications you can do today to fall-proof your bedroom and stairs
- A Bedrail can provide support and sturdiness when getting in and out of the bed.
- Putting a night light next to the bed is important in preventing falls. When you have to get up in the middle of the night, having a light source next to you is safer than trying to find the switch in the dark.
- Place your phone within arm-reach. Emergencies can happen at night. Having a phone next to you is a life-saver as opposed to getting up and going to where the phone is located.
FUN FACT: The most expensive bed is called Baldacchino Supreme Bed. It costs a jaw-dropping $6.3 million!
- Install and secure handrails in every set of stairs for balance and navigation. Having a second handrail is even better.
- Repair uneven and damaged stairs.
- Check the steepness and depth of the stairs. The stairs should be 5-6 inches (ca. 15 cm) high with a minimum depth of 10 inches (ca. 25 cm).
- Use colored tapes to differentiate between steps.
- Stair lifts can be installed indoors or outdoors
FUN FACTS: Climbing the stairs burn more calories than jogging! It is also a type of vigorous exercise that helps tone muscles.