Are grab bars really necessary? … YES!
Grab bars may seem like simple additions in the home but they are doubtless critical to safety, especially in high-risk areas such as the bathroom.
Bathrooms are one of the most dangerous rooms in your house. They’re full of slippery surfaces, exposed pipes, and are oftentimes poorly lit. These elements make them a breeding ground for accidents.
If you have a senior family member who has difficulty moving, grab bars are your best bet. They can help seniors who have balance issues or back pain avoid slips and falls when using the toilet. They can also aid in recovery from injuries or surgery. Grab bars are indeed, indispensable tools for safety, balance, stability, and independence.
Signs You Should Install Toilet Grab Bars
For years, you have not encountered any problem using the bathroom. But lately, you felt that something has changed. Is it time to install grab bars? Here are signs you should not delay doing so!
- Difficulty using toilet
- Your independence is threatened
- You are experiencing chronic pain
- You have a disability or are suffering from an illness
- You are recovering from a surgery
- You feel weak
- You don’t want to risk having an accident
- You want to improve your bathroom aesthetics and functionality
Reasons to Install Toilet Grab Bars
- They provide excellent support. Grab bars provide great support when you need to balance yourself after using the bathroom or when you’re getting out of the shower.
- They are affordable. Grab bars don’t cost much and they’re easy to install so there’s really no reason not to have one installed in your bathroom right away!
- They improve your quality of life. With a grab bar installed in the bathroom, you’ll feel like you have regained some independence and confidence; it will make life easier for both you and your family members as well!
- They make for a safer bathroom. You’ll be able to get in and out of the bathtub safely, which means you won’t fall and hit your head on the floor anymore; this is one of the most common injuries that happen in the bathroom!
- They are investment-worthy. When you factor in the cost of hospital bills, not to mention insurance premiums, and wage losses, the cost of the materials and installation will cost you A LOT less.
- They help you maintain dignity. Grab bars help you maintain a certain degree of independence. Not constantly requiring assistance from others helps build your self-confidence.
- They provide peace of mind for you and your family. Seeing your loved ones struggle with simple tasks such as using the toilet is a painful sight. Installing grab bars is one way to lessen the worry and anxiety felt by everyone.
A General Rule:
There is NO ALTERNATIVE to grab bars, at least not in the same capacity. Grab bars are specifically designed for safety and stability. Although they may seem like just a small addition to your home, you should not under any circumstance substitute a standard grab bar with just anything that you can grab on. That would be defeating the purpose and needless to say, dangerous!
- Aging in place is increasingly becoming a reality for more and more people. Hence, it’s never a bad idea to invest in things that can help you age more safely in your home.
- Grab bars should be seen as an essential home addition for the elderly and those with limited mobility.
- Safe, secure, and independent access to the bathroom is one of the most important ways to maintain your independence over time.
If you are planning to remodel your bathroom, then grab bars are a must-have item that you should not miss. Check this article for more information on what grab bar is right for you: https://baygrabbar.com/what-grab-bar-is-right-for-you.