When you’re building a new home or just looking to make modifications, you might be thinking about how it’s going to hold up over time. After all, it’s your dream home and you want it to look good and last for years. As you begin to plan the details of your space, you may want to consider installing internal handrails. For the best safety, handrails are installed on both sides of stairs.
Handrails are a great way to add some extra stability and support to a staircase or landing. They can also help make your house feel more secure and safe.
What is a Handrail Used For?
Installing interior handrails in your home is a great way to provide a sense of security for seniors and those with physical limitations. They are a great way to reduce the risk of slips and falls, provide a secure grip while ascending and descending stairs, and offer support while standing.
Who Needs to Use Handrails?
EVERYONE… and that is, every member of the family.
Installing internal handrails is a smart choice for any home. It offers numerous benefits to every member of the family, no matter their age or physical ability.
Handrails will give stability to individuals that may have mobility issues, such as the elderly, those who have certain disabilities, and those with temporary injuries.
Additionally, even if you do not consider yourself to have mobility issues, handrails can help you move around the home more safely and also provide assistance while holding onto items.
Installing internal handrails is definitely worth it, no matter the circumstances.
Design and Materials
Installing interior handrails in your home can provide a great deal of safety and security for you and your family. Whether you are looking to install them for seniors in your home or just for your own peace of mind, there are a variety of designs and materials you can choose from.
Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to consider all of them before making a decision. Here are some of the most common materials used for handrails:
1. Wood is a traditional choice for handrails, and they offer stability and durability as well as many style options. Commonly used types of wood are cypress, pine, cedar, maple, mahogany, oak, ash, and cherry.
- Provides a more natural and sophisticated look to your home
- They can be sanded, stained, or painted depending on the style and design you are going for
- The durability of your handrail may depend on the type of wood used. Hardwoods like oak may last longer than softwoods like pine.
- Not everyone considers wood if they are going for a more modern look.
2. Metal are most commonly used around outdoor steps due to their strength and resistance to weather conditions; however they can also be used indoors as well. Metal railing is also popular due to its contemporary look, which can be matched with any interior color scheme.
A. Modern wrought iron is an alloy of mild steel and a carbon content of >0.08% (lesser compared to cast iron with 2.1-4%)
- malleable and perfect for creating a decorative look
- more stable and more durable, perfect if you are looking for a long-term investment
- Customizable design and finishes
- Can be expensive
- Harder and more time-consuming to install
B. Steel is the most common choice for a more contemporary architecture as it can be used in almost any type of environment.
- Versatile and corrosion-resistant
- Requires less maintainace
- Durable and strong
- More expensive than other materials
- Requires professional installation and modifications
- Susceptible to water stains
C. Aluminum is a great substitute for steel
- Lightweight and easier to install
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- Less expensive than stainless steel
- Versatile and is perfect for any design aesthetic
- Minimal maintenance needed
- Recyclable which makes it eco-friendly
- Susceptible to dents and scratches but can be reduced with a nice powder coating or anodized finish.
One of our supplier, Promenaid, has a hybrid aluminum that world with a wood finish or a metalized finish:
ENDURA ANODIZED ALUMINUM: Finish with a satin metallic luster that will never flake or chip.
How to Choose the Right Design and Material for Your Home
The best option primarily depends on the safety needs that you have as well as the style and design of your home and the material chosen for the handrails themselves.
Installing interior handrails is most successful when the right materials are chosen based on factors such as humidity level, temperature fluctuations, and chemical exposure in home environments.
Professional guidance should also be sought if necessary in order to ensure proper installation and determine best practices when it comes to ADA guidelines and other building codes that aim at ensuring safe usage.
Installing interior handrails in your home is a great investment for many reasons. Not only do interior handrails act as physical safeguards but also mental reassurance for family members who may have reservations about using staircases due to age or health concerns.
By understanding these advantages, you can make an informed decision that will ensure your home is safe and secure while adding to its overall aesthetic appeal.
- Handrails provide a barrier between you and the staircase, preventing accidents from happening.
- They can provide support while going up or down the stairs, making everyday tasks easier.
- They add a touch of style and function to your home
- They are a good investment as they can last decades with proper maintenance
- They help you keep your balance while carrying heavy objects
- Installing interior handrails is a low-cost and easy option that can add extra peace of mind in the home
Interior handrails are an important safety feature for any home. They provide an extra level of security and stability for our loved ones, especially those with mobility issues. In addition to the physical safety they provide, interior handrails can also add style, comfort, and convenience to your home. With the wide range of designs and materials available, you can find one that not only looks great but also does its job effectively.
Installing handrails in your home is more than just safety and aesthetics— it’s an undeniable evidence of your commitment and love for your family. It creates a sense of assurance and peace of mind that your family is safe and taken care of.
If you’re looking for stylish yet effective interior handrails for your staircase, look no further! Bay Grab Bar is here to help you transform your home into a safer and more welcoming haven.